Principles of Community
At UC Santa Cruz, we strive to keep a continuous connection throughout the entire student body and campus. We strive for a safe environment throughout the campus promoting civility, professionalism, honesty, cooperation, and fairness. To further understand this concept, become familiar with the Principles of Community.
UCSC expects that every campus member will practice these Principles of Community.
We strive to be:
- Diverse: We embrace diversity in all its forms and we strive for an inclusive community that fosters an open, enlightened and productive environment.
- Open: We believe free exchange of ideas requires mutual respect and consideration for our differences.
- Purposeful: We are a participatory community united by shared commitments to: service to society; preservation and advancement of knowledge; and innovative teaching and learning.
- Caring: We promote mutual respect, trust and support to foster bonds that strengthen the community.
- Just: We are committed to due process, respect for individual dignity and equitable access to resources, recognition and rewards.
- Disciplined: We seek to advance common goals through reasonable and realistic practices, procedures and expectations.
- Celebrative: We celebrate the heritage, achievements and diversity of the community and the uniqueness and contributions of our members.