Principles of Community
At UC Santa Cruz, we strive to promote civility, professionalism, honesty, cooperation, and fairness while creating a long-lasting impact on the student body.
We embrace diversity and encourage students to be open, just, purposeful, disciplined, caring, and celebrative - these are known as our Principles of Community.
We strive to be:
- Diverse: We embrace diversity in all its forms and we strive for an inclusive community that fosters an open, enlightened and productive environment.
- Open: We believe free exchange of ideas requires mutual respect and consideration for our differences.
- Purposeful: We are a participatory community united by shared commitments to: service to society; preservation and advancement of knowledge; and innovative teaching and learning.
- Caring: We promote mutual respect, trust and support to foster bonds that strengthen the community.
- Just: We are committed to due process, respect for individual dignity and equitable access to resources, recognition and rewards.
- Disciplined: We seek to advance common goals through reasonable and realistic practices, procedures and expectations.
- Celebrative: We celebrate the heritage, achievements, and diversity of the community and the uniqueness and contributions of our members.
Sustainability is a key part of our campus and culture at UC Santa Cruz.
Students, faculty, and staff at UC Santa Cruz have an environmental ethos - as Banana Slugs, we work hard to reduce our waste and recycle, conserve energy & water, purchase sustainable products & food, and hold social & environmental justice as crucial to our robust sustainability movement.
Want to learn more about sustainability at UC Santa Cruz? Check out the Sustainability Office website.